Sunday, February 3, 2013

A very specific genre

When I log in to my netflix homepage, the things they recommend to me are sometimes slightly, well, ridiculous. I will receive lists of very specific categories of movies-- categories that I didn't know existed, let alone that they were "my favorite". For example, "quirky British movies with a strong female lead", or "feel good sports movies based on a true story", of my favorite, "films starring Ryan Reynolds". Okay, who am I kidding-- I obviously know those are my favorite categories of movies, but I guess I was still surprised that Netflix could figure me out so specifically.

Well, I have come to realize that I have the same thing going in with books. My go-to genre has become something along the lines of "Young Adult futuristic dystopia novels featuring beautiful teenagers almost kissing". (Note. This is different from "YA fantasy novels featuring beautiful teenagers almost kissing", though I've also read my fair share of those!)

I think that The Hunger Games trilogy started it off, but since then, I have read installments of at least four other series.

Anyway, since getting a Kindle for Christmas (have I mentioned I got a Kindle?) this addiction has become even more of a problem since these fluffy-yet-epic reads are now only a click away. I'm ages behind in blogging about any of these books since I can't figure out how to write about all of the angst and take-you-back-to-high-school crushing without spilling the beans about the twists and turns of the plots. So, instead I thought it would be easiest to introduce the whole genre at once so when talking about the books/series, I can save some time!


No comments:

Post a Comment