Thursday, June 24, 2010

First Meeting- The Art of Racing in the Rain

Tonight was the first meeting of Eat, Drink, and Be Literary. I have been anxious all week to find out what my fellow book-clubbers thought of my pick The Art of Racing in the Rain.

As I mentioned in a previous post, The Art of Racing in the Rain (written by Garth Stein) is unique because it is told from the point of view of the family dog who wishes to be human, Enzo. Enzo watches his master Denny pursue a career as a race car driver, fall in love and get married to a woman named Eve, start a family, and then go through tragedy after tragedy which rip his family apart. The story is heart-tugging, though the book definitely lacked depth in many ways. The plot was predictable and sappy at times, and characters were rather superficial but I found myself deeply attached to Enzo and his obsessions with opposable thumbs and race cars. In other words, despite a lack of literary merit, I really enjoyed the book. If you're in the mood for feel-good fluff, I highly recommend it!

Before the meeting, I was worried how I would handle it if other people didn't like the book, but as it turns out (and this is probably obvious to anyone but me) varying opinions about the book were exactly what made the discussion this evening worthwhile. It was actually quite funny because virtually all of us were in complete agreement about the positive and negative aspects of the book, yet varied greatly in our overall feelings towards the book. In fact, the liking/hating ratio was about 50/50. Who knew a funny furry friend like Enzo could be so polarizing?

The only downside of the evening for me was that my asparagus puffs (one of my all time favorite dishes to wow a crowd) fell flat... literally. Perhaps it was something to do with the incredible humidity recently, but my puffs did not puff. Instead they humidified. Blech. Everyone else's tasty treats made up for this, however. My favorite? Cucumber sandwiches and fresh strawberries. Yum!

Cheers to a night well spent, and on to the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment