Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife


I realize I am approximately two years behind the summer beach read train, but I finally got around to this swoon worthy read.

I'm not sure if I'm just more emotional late at night (the only time I get for pleasure reading) or what, but lately I have been crying buckets at nearly everything. My poor roommate must think I am nuts when I bust into his office at 1 am at least twice a month and try to explain riveting plots and beautiful characters between sobs. This week, when I finished The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, it was no exception. Major sob fest. Major.

When I borrowed this book from a friend, I was expecting an easy and romantic piece of Chick Lit to numb my senses for a few weeks. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a complex and beautiful love story. I was really impressed with the author for her ability to write a story that weaves in and out of time, and I was simultaneously impressed with myself for being able to follow along as the main characters Claire and Henry fell in love one moment at a time. In fact, I became so engrossed in the novel that I felt like I was falling in love right along with them.

One of my favorite things about the book was actually the setting. Niffenegger managed to turn the city of Chicago into a character in this story. The city, changing every second with the hustle and bustle of life, also remains fundamentally the same throughout time. The city might seem constantly in flux with millions of busy people hurrying about, but the architecture, traditions, and even El stops remain unchanged. To me, this city (made extra special to me because it was Chicago, my home during 4 years of college) was a metaphor for Henry and Claire. Though they were together for just series of brief moments, back and forth across decades and decades-- the foundation of their relationship was unchanged and beautiful.

Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic, but I utterly loved this book. I suppose I will have to see the movie now, but lord knows it will never live up to my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment